The Society presents programs throughout the year. We do this in support of 0ur mission to”promote and sustain interest in the history of Delaware County”. These programs are open to the Delaware County community and general public. Come join us, learn and share about our rich Delaware County History.
2017 Programs and Events
- Ice Cream Sodas, Juke Boxes, and Carhops: A walk down memory lane – Brent Carson
A survey of early restaurants and ice cream shops in Delaware County will be presented.
Thursday, January 19 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- William Cratty and the Underground Railroad in Delaware County
Excerpts from our Underground Railroad program.
Thursday, February 2 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- The Blizzard of ’78 – Brent Carson
In 2018, it will be 40 years since the Blizzard of the Century. This will be an opportunity to view photos and reports from 1978 and share memories of the storm.
Thursday, March 2 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Volunteer Fair
The Delaware County Historical Society will be holding its 2017 Volunteer Fair. With so many exciting endeavors underway, Volunteers are needed more than ever!
Thursday, March 23rd 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- A Conversation with Abe Lincoln
Reenactor John Cooper will reminisce about the Civil War, politics, and life during the 1800s
Thursday, April 6 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- The Delaware Chair Company
Learn the history of the company. Steve Bemiller, antiques expert, will discuss the characteristics of the chairs and end with some information on the value of the chairs.
Thursday, May 18 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Letters to the Editor – Tamsen Dalrymple
Letters from a WWII European theater soldier to the editor of a small town Ohio newspaper.
Thursday, June 15 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Family Photos Old and New – Dave Nungesser
How to identify and preserve old photos, tintypes, daguerreotypes, cabinet cards as well as modern film, slides, and digital snapshots
Thursday, July 27 7PM – The Barn at Stratford
- Stroll down Sandusky Street – Benny Shoults and Roger Koch
A tour of the history and architecture of buildings on Sandusky Street.
Wednesday, August 9 7PM Downtown Delaware – Tickets are $15 for adults, $5 for children ages 6 to 17
- “Who owned my house?” House Research 101 – Susan Logan
Thursday, August 10 7PM – Cryder Historical Center – Cost is $25 per property – space is limited to 10 properties
- 100 Days in Rutherford B. Hayes Life – Author Eric Ebinger
Wednesday, October 4 7PM – The Barn at Stratford
- Oakgrove Cemetery Walk – Brent Carson
Sunday, October 8 2PM – Oakgrove Cemetery – Tickets are $15 for adults, $5 for children ages 6 to 17
- Delaware County Historical Society Annual Meeting – Delaware County during World War I
Wednesday, November 8 7PM – The Barn at Stratford