The Society presents programs throughout the year. We do this in support of 0ur mission to”promote and sustain interest in the history of Delaware County”. These programs are open to the Delaware County community and general public. Come join us, learn and share about our rich Delaware County History.
2018 Programs and Events
- Famous Firsts in History – Steve Bemiller
Everyday objects – Date first used
Thursday, January 18 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
- Delaware Home on Underground Railroad
Wednesday, February 7 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
- Earthworks & American Indians in Central Ohio – Brad Lepper, Ohio History Connection
Wednesday, March 14 7 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
- Sports Venues in Delaware County – Brent Carson
Wednesday, April 11 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
- History of Newspapers in Delaware County – Benny Shoults/Andrew Carter
Wednesday, May 16 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
- Railroads in Delaware County – Jack Hilborn
Wednesday, June 13 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
- Floods in Delaware County – Brent Carson
Wednesday, July 11 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
- *A Walk Down East Winter Street – Benny Shoults
Wednesday, August 8 at 7pm – Oakgrove Cemetery
- *Oak Grove Cemetery Walk
Reenactors will portray notable Delaware County residents who were buried there
Sunday, October 7 at 2pm – Tickets range from $5 to $15
- The Spanish Flu Epidemic and Early 20th Century Medicine in Delaware – Dr. Alice Frazier
Wednesday, October 10 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
- Delaware County Historical Society Annual Meeting – Hayes Presidential Library and Museums – Christie M. Weininger
Tuesday, November 13 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
*Pre Registration and program fee required
2017 Programs and Events
- Ice Cream Sodas, Juke Boxes, and Carhops: A walk down memory lane – Brent Carson
A survey of early restaurants and ice cream shops in Delaware County will be presented.
Thursday, January 19 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- William Cratty and the Underground Railroad in Delaware County
Excerpts from our Underground Railroad program.
Thursday, February 2 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- The Blizzard of ’78 – Brent Carson
In 2018, it will be 40 years since the Blizzard of the Century. This will be an opportunity to view photos and reports from 1978 and share memories of the storm.
Thursday, March 2 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Volunteer Fair
The Delaware County Historical Society will be holding its 2017 Volunteer Fair. With so many exciting endeavors underway, Volunteers are needed more than ever!
Thursday, March 23rd 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- A Conversation with Abe Lincoln
Reenactor John Cooper will reminisce about the Civil War, politics, and life during the 1800s
Thursday, April 6 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- The Delaware Chair Company
Learn the history of the company. Steve Bemiller, antiques expert, will discuss the characteristics of the chairs and end with some information on the value of the chairs.
Thursday, May 18 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Letters to the Editor – Tamsen Dalrymple
Letters from a WWII European theater soldier to the editor of a small town Ohio newspaper.
Thursday, June 15 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Family Photos Old and New – Dave Nungesser –
How to identify and preserve old photos, tintypes, daguerreotypes, cabinet cards as well as modern film, slides, and digital snapshots
Thursday, July 27 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Stroll down Sandusky Street – Benny Shoults and Roger Koch –
A tour of the history and architecture of buildings on Sandusky Street.
Wednesday, August 9 7PM – Delaware County Courthouse, 91 N. Sandusky Street – More Information
- “Who owned my house?” House Research 101 – Susan Logan
Thursday, August 10 7PM – Cryder Historical Center
- Resurrecting Rutherford B. Hayes – Author Eric Ebinger
Wednesday, October 4 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Oakgrove Cemetery Walk – Impersonations by reenactors
Sunday, October 8 2PM (Rain Date Oct 15th) – Oakgrove Cemetery – More Information
- Delaware County Historical Society Annual Meeting – Delaware County during World War I
Wednesday, November 8 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information