The Society presents programs throughout the year. We do this in support of our mission to “promote and sustain interest in the history of Delaware County”. These programs are open to the Delaware County community and general public. Come join us, learn and share about our rich Delaware County History.
2018 Programs and Events
—- Upcoming —-
- Old Jail Tours at the historic Delaware County Sheriff’s Residence and Jail – Jan Fleischmann and Dave Hejmanowski
Guided tours of our iconic historic jail facility that housed prisoners from 1878 to 1988.
Sunday, October 21 from 2 – 4pm – 20 West Central Ave, Delaware – more information – Reserve Places
- Delaware County Historical Society Annual Meeting – R.B.Hayes in the Civil War – Christie M. Weininger
Tuesday, November 13 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
- Nash House Holiday Open House
This beautiful 1878 Victorian house will be festively decorated for the holiday season. Refreshments will be served.
Saturday, Dec 1 from 2 – 5pm and Sunday Dec 2 from 3:30 – 5:30pm (following the Holiday Parade)
Located at 157 East William St.
—- Earlier this year —-
- Famous Firsts in History – Steve Bemiller
Everyday objects – Date first used
Thursday, January 18 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information
- Delaware Home on Underground Railroad
Wednesday, February 7 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information
- 2018 Opening of Meeker Homestead Museum
Sunday, March 4 from 2 – 5pm – Meeker Homestead Museum – more information
- Earthworks & American Indians in Central Ohio – Brad Lepper, Ohio History Connection
Wednesday, March 14 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
This program is made possible in part by The Ohio Humanities Council, a state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Sports Venues in Delaware County – Brent Carson
Wednesday, April 11 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
- Notable Women from Delaware County
Wednesday, May 16 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
Sponsored by Manos, Martin & Pergram Co., LPA
- Railroads in Delaware County – Jack Hilborn
Wednesday, June 13 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
Sponsored by Hilborn Insurance and Willow Brook Christian Communities
- *Mark Twain at The Barn at Stratford – Ken Burnett
Sunday, July 8 at 2pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Purchase Tickets
Tickets are $12 for adults, $8 for children
Sponsored by Arena Fair Theatre, Delaware Gazette, Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan, and Delaware County Historical Society
- Floods in Delaware County – Brent Carson
Wednesday, July 11 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
Sponsored by Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan
- Historic Preservation – the Power of Place – Barbara Powers
Tuesday, August 7 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
Special presentation by the administrator of the National Register of Historic Places program in Ohio. Barbara also manages the Ohio Historic inventory, and Ohio Archaeological inventory Programs for Ohio History Connection.
- *A Walk Down East Winter Street – Benny Shoults, Brent Carson
Wednesday, August 8 at 7pm – more information – Purchase Tickets
Tickets are $10 for adult members/$15 for non-members —$5 for children ages 6 to 17
- Band at The Barn – Delaware Community Concert Band
Thursday, August 16 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
Bring lawn chairs and your own refreshments – more information
- History of Rail Transportation in Delaware County – Fair Booth Exhibit
Rare photographs of trains, railroad people, and disasters, route maps and artifacts.
September 15th – 22nd – Delaware County Fair – more information
- *Oak Grove Cemetery Walk
Reenactors will portray notable Delaware County residents who were buried there
Sunday, October 7 at 2pm – more information – Purchase Tickets
Tickets are $10 for adult members/$15 for non-members $5 for children ages 6 to 17
- The Spanish Flu Epidemic and Early 20th Century Medicine in Delaware – Dr. Alice Frazier
Wednesday, October 10 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
Sponsored by Willow Brook Christian Communities and Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan
Programs are free unless otherwise noted. Preregistration for programs on Event Bright is strongly
recommended – www.eventbrite.com or call the Delaware County Historical Society for assistance.
*Pre Registration and program fee required.
You can view a listing of the society’s prior years programs and events .
The Delaware County Historical Society thanks our local Program Sponsors:
Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan Hilborn Insurance Willow Brook Christian Communities Manos, Martin & Pergram Co., LPA
You can be a Program Sponsor. Help us bring Delaware History to Life and be recognized as for your contribution. Tell me more
- Famous Firsts in History – Steve Bemiller