Past Programs and Events
The Society presents programs throughout the year. We do this in support of our mission to “promote and sustain interest in the history of Delaware County”. Unless noted otherwise, programs are open to the Delaware County community and general public. We invite you to review the programs and events that we have presented in past years.
2018 Programs and Events
- Famous Firsts in History – Steve Bemiller
Everyday objects – Date first used
Thursday, January 18 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information
- Delaware Home on Underground Railroad
Wednesday, February 7 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information
- 2018 Opening of Meeker Homestead Museum
Sunday, March 4 from 2 – 5pm – Meeker Homestead Museum – more information
- Earthworks & American Indians in Central Ohio – Brad Lepper, Ohio History Connection
Wednesday, March 14 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
This program is made possible in part by The Ohio Humanities Council, a state affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- Sports Venues in Delaware County – Brent Carson
Wednesday, April 11 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
- Notable Women from Delaware County
Wednesday, May 16 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
Sponsored by Manos, Martin & Pergram Co., LPA
- Railroads in Delaware County – Jack Hilborn
Wednesday, June 13 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
Sponsored by Hilborn Insurance and Willow Brook Christian Communities
- *Mark Twain at The Barn at Stratford – Ken Burnett
Sunday, July 8 at 2pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Purchase Tickets
Tickets are $12 for adults, $8 for children
Sponsored by Arena Fair Theatre, Delaware Gazette, Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan, and Delaware County Historical Society
- Floods in Delaware County – Brent Carson
Wednesday, July 11 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
Sponsored by Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan
- Historic Preservation – the Power of Place – Barbara Powers
Tuesday, August 7 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
Special presentation by the administrator of the National Register of Historic Places program in Ohio. Barbara also manages the Ohio Historic inventory, and Ohio Archaeological inventory Programs for Ohio History Connection.
- *A Walk Down East Winter Street – Benny Shoults, Brent Carson
Wednesday, August 8 at 7pm – more information – Purchase Tickets
Tickets are $10 for adult members/$15 for non-members —$5 for children ages 6 to 17
- Band at The Barn – Delaware Community Concert Band
Thursday, August 16 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford
Bring lawn chairs and your own refreshments – more information
- History of Rail Transportation in Delaware County – Fair Booth Exhibit
Rare photographs of trains, railroad people, and disasters, route maps and artifacts.
September 15th – 22nd – Delaware County Fair – more information
- *Oak Grove Cemetery Walk
Reenactors will portray notable Delaware County residents who were buried there
Sunday, October 7 at 2pm – more information – Purchase Tickets
Tickets are $10 for adult members/$15 for non-members $5 for children ages 6 to 17
- The Spanish Flu Epidemic and Early 20th Century Medicine in Delaware – Dr. Alice Frazier
Wednesday, October 10 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
Sponsored by Willow Brook Christian Communities and Fidelity Federal Savings and Loan
- Old Jail at the historic Delaware County Sheriff’s Residence and Jail – Jan Fleischmann and Dave Hejmanowski
Guided tours of our iconic historic jail facility that housed prisoners from 1878 to 1988.
Sunday, October 21 from 2 – 4pm – 20 West Central Ave, Delaware – more information – Reserve Places
- Delaware County Historical Society Annual Meeting – R.B.Hayes in the Civil War – Christie M. Weininger
Tuesday, November 13 at 7pm – The Barn at Stratford – more information – Reserve Seats
- Nash House Holiday Open House
This beautiful 1878 Victorian house will be festively decorated for the holiday season. Refreshments will be served.
Saturday, Dec 1 from 2 – 5pm and Sunday Dec 2 from 3:30 – 5:30pm (following the Holiday Parade)
Located at 157 East William St.
2017 Programs and Events
- Ice Cream Sodas, Juke Boxes, and Carhops: A walk down memory lane – Brent Carson
A survey of early restaurants and ice cream shops in Delaware County will be presented.
Thursday, January 19 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- William Cratty and the Underground Railroad in Delaware County
Excerpts from our Underground Railroad program.
Thursday, February 2 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- The Blizzard of ’78 – Brent Carson
In 2018, it will be 40 years since the Blizzard of the Century. This will be an opportunity to view photos and reports from 1978 and share memories of the storm.
Thursday, March 2 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Volunteer Fair
The Delaware County Historical Society will be holding its 2017 Volunteer Fair. With so many exciting endeavors underway, Volunteers are needed more than ever!
Thursday, March 23rd 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- A Conversation with Abe Lincoln
Reenactor John Cooper will reminisce about the Civil War, politics, and life during the 1800s
Thursday, April 6 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- The Delaware Chair Company
Learn the history of the company. Steve Bemiller, antiques expert, will discuss the characteristics of the chairs and end with some information on the value of the chairs.
Thursday, May 18 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Letters to the Editor – Tamsen Dalrymple
Letters from a WWII European theater soldier to the editor of a small town Ohio newspaper.
Thursday, June 15 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Family Photos Old and New – Dave Nungesser –
How to identify and preserve old photos, tintypes, daguerreotypes, cabinet cards as well as modern film, slides, and digital snapshots
Thursday, July 27 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Stroll down Sandusky Street – Benny Shoults and Roger Koch –
A tour of the history and architecture of buildings on Sandusky Street.
Wednesday, August 9 7PM – Delaware County Courthouse, 91 N. Sandusky Street – More Information
- “Who owned my house?” House Research 101 – Susan Logan
Thursday, August 10 7PM – Cryder Historical Center
- Resurrecting Rutherford B. Hayes – Author Eric Ebinger
Wednesday, October 4 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
- Oakgrove Cemetery Walk – Impersonations by reenactors
Sunday, October 8 2PM (Rain Date Oct 15th) – Oakgrove Cemetery – More Information
- Delaware County Historical Society Annual Meeting – Delaware County during World War I
Wednesday, November 8 7PM – The Barn at Stratford – More Information
To see our current programs click here.
Join us! Learn and share about our rich Delaware County Ohio History.