Learn about several of our early and prominent settlers as you take a driving tour of area cemeteries and homesteads. Then, visit the Barn at Stratford to learn more about the individuals laid to rest in these hallowed grounds.
Date: Sunday, August 28
Time: 1:00 PM – 5:00 PM (self-guided driving tour)
5:30 PM Reenactments at the Barn at Stratford
Tickets: $15 for members; $20 for non-members
Our very popular Oak Grove Cemetery Tour has expanded this year to cemeteries in western Delaware County, including Radnor, Bokes Creek, Mill Creek, Oller, and Lucy Depp.
Participants will be given map directions to both the cemetery grave-sites and the home-sites of the featured historic figures. DCHS docents will greet guests at the cemeteries and offer a brief introduction at the individual grave sites, as well as general history for each cemetery.
Participants may travel the route at their leisure between 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM.
Reenactments will take place at the Barn at Stratford Gazebo, (2690 Stratford Road, Delaware) beginning at 5:30 PM. Food trucks and music will on site.
Featured historical figures include:
- Margaret Perry and David Pugh – the earliest settlers in Radnor Township
- Jacob Dilsaver – pioneers of Scioto and Thompson Townships
- William Warrington – one of the chosen bodyguards for General Washington
- Lucy Depp – 19th century African-American woman for whom Lucy Depp Park and the Lucy Depp settlement is named
- Ruth Butts – from Butt’s Corner on State Route 257 near Shawnee Hills
Participants are encouraged to bring chairs and/or blankets for lawn seating.