Have you heard the R. B. Hayes Ghost Story involving OSU’s Hayes Hall.
Rutherford B. Hayes
Born: Rutherford Birchard Hayes,
October 04, 1822,
Delaware, Ohio, U.S.
Rutherford Birchard Hayes was the 19th president of the United States from 1877 to 1881, after serving in the U.S. House of Representatives and as governor of Ohio. A lawyer and staunch abolitionist, he had defended refugee slaves in court proceedings during the antebellum years. Wikipedia
Learn about Hayes Coming Home to Delaware Ohio
The Ohio State University has a Hayes Building in honor of President R. B. Hayes. But did the President ever visit it?
Hayes Hall was built in 1893 making it the oldest remaining building on The Ohio State University campus. It was named for Rutherford B. Hayes, President of the United States and three-time governor of Ohio, on November 17, 1891. President Hayes served as a member of the OSU Board of Trustees. Hayes was the governor of Ohio when it accepted the federal Morrill Act, establishing land-grant colleges including OSU. Hayes strongly supported providing the students of Ohio with mechanical education. Hayes Hall housed the first Industrial Arts program on campus.
Although Hayes knew of the naming of the building prior to his death in January, 1893, he never saw it completed. Hayes Hall was first occupied on February 1, 1893.